Monday, June 21, 2010

69 miles with a minimum of fuss

Left Astoria Oregon at about 7 am and 69 miles later arrived in St. Helens at 2 pm. Only glitch was that I went to bed with a bad sore throat, worried about it all night, woke up worse and decided to ignore it. So here I am tired, stiff and sore but pleased with my ride and glad to have at least one day behind me. This part of Oregon seems much like Maine and while scenic at times was not spectacular. Lots of lumbering and related industries. Lots of bark debris on the road. One of the ABB staffers said that our route today was one of the busiest we will have on the whole trip. It was busy and there were countless trucks but there was a good shoulder and I pretty much tune out the traffic. The profile showed two big climbs but only the second was really challenging-- not because it was steep but because it was about four miles of climbing.

We did a 25 mile ride yesterday from Astoria to the Pacific Ocean but neither John nor I cared to actually dip our bikes in the water. We decided that a picture with the ocean in the background would suffice. One of these days I will have the energy to add some pictures.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dereka, great to hear you and John have had a good start. I am just trying to get to 10,000 steps a day and can't even imagine 69 miles on a bicycle! Looking forward to your posts so I can live vicariously. Also want to see those pictures!
    Illyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Dereka & John.

    It is wonderful to be able to read this, very exciting. I hope your throat gets better quickly and it just may; knocked out by the greater demand on your physical resources (-:

    Love, T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, Tammy still gets up early!
    Looks like it will be easy to follow, I hope you have the energy for daily updates, even if short.
    I would have dunked the bike......
    and when I got to the Atlantic, I think I'd ride straight in. Glad first day went well.
    Sybil, Peter, Celia, Gavin & I are going out to Stellas to celebrate Sybil's 2nd year sober, and Gavin's graduation. Afterwards I'm going to mountain bike with Rika in the woods....she got into a porcupine last time but with Sybil and Gavin's help we got all the quills out. Looking forward to the next post!! Love, KT

    ReplyDelete