Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 8: Ontario Oregon to Boise Idaho

Turns out that our last night in Oregon was less than a mile from the Idaho state line. We crossed it within minutes of setting out. I really enjoyed the morning ride-- it was on unnumbered farm roads, very little traffic, lots of interesting irrigation schemes, crops and etc. The whole city of Ontario smelled strongly of onions in the morning-- onions being one of their chief crops. Lots of good rolling hills, no bad climbs. Stupidly I took a tumble at mile 36.8 but other than being chagrined and getting a couple minor scrapes, no harm was done. The day really started to heat up, however, and I began to lose my zip. John was riding with me today and although I could keep up with him in the morning I didn't do well as it got hotter. It was 94 when we pulled into the hotel about 2:30 and by 4:00 it was 100. Good thing I wasn't out there any longer. Very hot tomorrow but we have a rest day-- Hurrah! and by Wednesday when we hit the road again it is promised to be cooler. Total mileage in the first eight days of riding is 612.

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed that you & John were inspired to do this ride. Hope you are using lots of chamois butter on the bike shorts!! Barb Douglas

    ReplyDelete
  2. My butt is holding up really well-- I have had a lot of trouble with my hands but at our rest day in Boise we turned the handle bars up a bit and I had no trouble today. Am now wearing two pairs of gloves. Also had a lot of trouble with my feet but have switched to Keen bike sandals and they are working perfectly.

    ReplyDelete