Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day 14: Pocatello to Idaho Falls

A riding day with no challenges and no flaws. The temperature was perfect, the wind at our backs, the route very attractive. I rode with Phillip the entire 66 mile route and we took it slow and easy. The route zigged and zagged on farm roads past huge potato fields and wheat fields and in many cases we were near the Snake River-- running very high and fast. This was the 4th of July so we all wore our America by Bicycle jerseys. We stopped to eat at a place called "Frontier Pie". We sat in a booth that had a fake covered wagon top. The waitress inquired what we were doing "special for the holiday" and we told her about our ride. "That's a joke, right?" she said.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem very funny to me at the moment because I am facing a huge challenge tomorrow. A long 91 mile ride and two very long hard climbs. When we did the 117 mile ride on Day 5, the staff described it as the hardest day of the ride but suddenly that ride is history and Day 15, the ride from Idaho Falls to Jackson Wyoming is the hardest. Makes me wonder how many "hardest" days we will have...

In any case I am among the favored dozen riders being offered an early luggage load. The regular load is at 6:00 but the slowpokes are being allowed to load at 5:15, before breakfast at 5:30. Check in again to see how I do. Wondering why I don't mention John? He is now riding with the fastest group and is always miles ahead of me. Even he is anxious about tomorrow, however.

3 comments:

  1. Hi D and J,

    I hope today 7/5 went okay, and we're anxiously awaiting news..

    Love, T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dereka,
    It is 95+ deg.Be careful

    peter

    ReplyDelete