Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 29: Sioux Falls SD to Worthington MN

The day started in Sioux Falls with a light rain that grew heavier but never became a downpour. We spent some miles on a very pretty bike path that went along the river-- made me realize that Sioux Falls is not only parking lots and stores. The actual falls were about nine miles into the route and we were on regular roads after that point.

We crossed the line into our fifth state, Minnesota, at about mile 25 and I must say thus far Minnesota looks about like South Dakota-- lots of corn and soybeans. The ride was over easy terrain with some slight difficulty caused by headwinds for most of the 70 mile route. The rain let up about mile 30, however, and things warmed up but never got really hot.

I am sad to report the departure of Phillip, like me one of the slowpokes. His sister and brother-in-law came to visit him in SF and the temptation to let them whisk him away was too great to resist. Phillip had mixed feelings about the ride from the first and lacked whatever drive it is that keeps me pedaling day after day. He is a lovely guy and we will all miss him.

I, on the other hand, am facing two 100+ mile days in a row. I am trying to get myself psyched up but it is always hard at night when I am tired. Time to have a little read (Giants of the Earth) and get a good long restorative sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment