Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 16: Jackson Hole to Dubois Wyoming

Just to prove that John is really on this trip with me-- here we are in Teton National Park having left Jackson Hole on our way east.

Putting on my laid back, no stress persona this morning, we chose the later full breakfast option at "The Bunnery" in Jackson Hole-- the other option was instant oatmeal and weak coffee at the hotel. Only nine of 50 riders were willing to give up this much of a lead but we had a truly great breakfast and if any of you are in JH I recommend it. Delicious and healthful.

Once up from the table we had a beautiful ride through the Teton National Park with the mountain range to our left for many scenic miles. Leaving the park about mile 32, we were on route 26 east and headed up to the Continental Divide at Togwotee Pass. We anticipated a big photo op when we reached the CD but for all of us it happened in the van! Actually for some it was on a flat bed trailer operated by Wyoming DOT-- they are doing major road construction that required a 14 mile shuttle! So much for EFI. Ask me if you don't know the acronym. It is too rude to include. So our 88 mile ride turned into a 74 mile ride but we paid a very heavy price for the lift-- the 24 miles after the shuttle ended were into a hellish headwind that kept us struggling even downhill into Dubois.

The locals told us that the early settlers wanted to name this town "Neversweat" because it is always cold here but decorum won out and the town was named for the first postmaster. Jackson Hole was pretty cold as well-- there were two adjacent temperature displays as we left town-- the first said 43 degrees and the second 47 but either way it was cold.

Highlight of the trip other than the scenery. We met a young man riding a unicycle and learned that he had started in Yorktown Virginia and was headed to Astoria Oregon, then down the Pacific Coast. He was carrying a very small backpack with his gear. I have pictures and will post them when we have a rest day in Casper.


7 comments:

  1. Dereka,

    It can also be every fabulous inch :)

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. I FIGURED IT OUT! (before I read above)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, Dereka , I had always heard that Neversweat was because the guys that hung out at the Rustic PIne , never worked up a sweat working ! That town is quite fancy now, believe me! Hope you got to eat at the Cowboy Cafe I am thoroughly enjoying your blog..........am going with you in my mind ..pretty country..........
    Judyq

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been doing a little more than going along in my mind, I've been tracking along in Google Earth, and looking at the photos - not as good as riding along, but not too bad.

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that you busted out the purple Pearlizumi shirt that I have the twin of- it must have been cold to wear that plus a jersey & jacket. Keep on cranking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,neighbor! Keep trucking--it is great to read about your daily travels--Darby is still on walkies each am-- your are one brave and determined woman( a little crazy?) Peg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dereka crazy? Naaah. Well maybe. . .

    ReplyDelete