Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 33: La Crosse to Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin

Today was all about the Elroy Sparta Trail, said to be one of first rail to trail conversions in the U.S. We picked it up at mile 27 and rode the whole length, ending at mile 61. There are three tunnels on the route-- all pitch black. The first one is about 3/4 mile long and the next two a bit shorter. We had to walk the bikes and use flashlights to guide our way. The picture was taken from inside the first tunnel as we were going out.

The road surface was dirt but reasonably well packed and although our pace was somewhat slowed the trail was beautiful and enjoyable. I was still a bit cranky about the added distance but we had a good lunch midway along and things were perking up. In the restaurant we met Mike Munk, the "big boss" on the staff and he told us we were the "back end" but it looked like that wasn't bothering us. I told him that I was rebelling and he asked "against what?" I said I was sick of rushing every day and he gave me a quizzical look and said "You've been rushing?" We both got a good laugh out of that.

A friend asked me what I think about along the ride. So many things go through my mind that I can never think later what they were. This afternoon was different. I didn't want to stay long at the second SAG. John was going to the bathroom so I said that I would get going and he could catch up with me. I rode a mile or two and expected him at any moment but he did not appear. I rode five miles, ten miles, fifteen miles-- no John. At every turn I was looking back and expecting to see him. My imagination began to work. He had had a heart attack in the bathroom, he had taken a wrong turn, a sting he had gotten earlier in the day had put him into shock, he had fallen. Why hadn't the white van passed me? Surely it was because they were dealing with John's medical emergency. Should I go back? That made no sense. I rode on, the various scenarios playing out in my mind. Finally, at the 25th mile past the SAG, there he was alive and well. Where had he been? He just hung around the SAG eating and drinking. Arrrggghhhh!

1 comment:

  1. Dereka, I love your postings each day, especially the picture of health one. I follow it each day and wonder how you can do it. Keep up the humor and riding. Sally

    ReplyDelete