Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 30: Worthington to Mankato, Minnesota

The day began somewhat comically. Because the mileage was high, luggage load was scheduled for 5:45 and breakfast, at a Perkins, at 6:00. As always I was early in line for load and one of the first few into the restaurant. There were six of us at the table. Our waitress appeared and it quickly became clear that she was not the sharpest knife in the drawer. The other tables filled up. We sat there. The other riders got coffee and juice. We sat there. The other riders got their meals. We sat there, by now alternately fuming and giggling. Finally the manager appeared to apologize. The server was at fault-- no explanation. Finally we got our food but all of us nervous nellies, wanting to be first on the road, turned out to be last.

Despite this setback, my fairy godmother sprinkled magic bicycle dust on me this morning. I flew through my 102 miles in 6.5 hours of riding time and with a personal best average time of 15.6 miles per hour.

Honestly, I think the success of the day had to do with factors other than my riding-- the terrain was easy, the winds helpful, the temperature cool (until the very end) and the roads mostly in good condition. Because of these things I rode with John most of the day and having completed 64 miles by 11:05 am!!! we stopped in a town called St. James for a nice lunch.

I took no pictures at all, so the endless field of corn is from yesterday. We are beginning to see some houses nicely nestled in shade trees instead of baking under a merciless sun-- also more "real" houses and more prosperous looking farms. The stench of factory farmed pigs is just awful, however. Seeing the feedlots, the pig houses and the stockyards in Sioux Falls has brought me finally to the decision to be a more serious vegetarian. I will continue to eat chicken, fish and Charlie Herrick venison but no more beef or pork.

Off to Rochester tomorrow. Another 100 miles but if it goes anywhere nearly as well as today's ride I will have a cheerful report.

No comments:

Post a Comment