Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day 38:Mt. Pleasant to Birch Run, Michigan

Despite my long sleep, I started the day in a foul temper. I didn't want to see one more moldering roadkill carcass or feedlot cow or field of corn, and I was knee deep in all of those things. Fortunately John, knowing that I was out of sorts, found a nice bakery in Alma and waited there for me. I couldn't face food but had a cranberry juice and an iced coffee and felt a bit better.

Off we started again and soon came across Ian, another one of the slower riders. I am always happy to see Ian because my reputation as "the little engine that could" and the "energizer bunny", means that I cannot complain, bitch or whine publicly. Ian knows the truth, however, and being able to complain cheers me up. So we rode the rest of the relatively short day together and got in to the motel at 2:30 with smiles on our faces.

John has just read in the paper that a "possibly" record size hailstone fell in South Dakota last Friday. It was 8 inches in diameter. Glad we missed that one!

1 comment:

  1. I guess that thing about smiling and the world smiles with you might not work (for you) after day 37 on a cross country tour.

    There's this thing called the odometer (the one you don't reset) that they could use for a more accurate daily log. Maybe someone should point this out. It sounds like it matters.

    I'm a little worried. I hope you aren't risking permanent damage to your hand(s). The little engine thing is fine and dandy but the little engine is going to want to use her hands as much as possible in the future. Is there good medical advice available? Under the circumstances it would not be a sign of weakness to take some time off.....wisdom being the better part of valor and all....

    I suppose if they'd planned the thing at a slower pace, the hailstone might have gotten you. (lame haha)
    Love, KT

    ReplyDelete