Thursday, July 29, 2010

Day 39: Birch Run to Port Huron, Michigan


Although I had a fitful sleep last night, it was a very good day's ride. It was just under 90 miles and I made it to the hotel by 2:20. I had a bit of a head start because I left before luggage load and John saw that my bags got onto the truck. I was at mile 12.17 before the first rider caught up with me.

The humidity was low today and I belatedly realized how awful yesterday was in contrast. Clear skies and pleasant winds contributed a lot to the ride. Both John and I agree, however, that the part of Michigan we have ridden through is the least interesting terrain we have encountered. The far west was very scenic, the high desert was exotic and all new, the wheat fields of South Dakota more beautiful than expected and Minnesota and Wisconsin both lovely. Michigan, not so much. I call the picture above "Life Among the Soybeans".

I was reduced to counting road kill twice today. On one 13 mile leg I counted 36 corpses and although I haven't actually counted previously, it is certain that we have passed hundreds of dead animals including snakes, raccoons, skunks, squirrels, turtles, deer, mice, possum, etc. I have been surprised by the number of dead birds on the road ever since we left Astoria. I don't recall birds being killed with such frequency in New England.

One thing that didn't surprise me is the number of gloves along the roadside. There has not been a single day that I did not see five or more gloves and this was true when we went to Florida in 2009 and North Carolina this year. One can only surmise that they are forgotten on car hoods and roofs until swept off by the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment