Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day 25: Pierre to Chamberlain, South Dakota

Halfway Day! Unbelievable. I am wearing the white shirt to keep the sun off my arms-- even with sunscreen I am getting heat blisters that break and ooze. It can readily been seen, however, that the skin and bones thing just isn't happening. Go figure. It is happening to John, of course, who eats about twice what I do.

I was blissed out for all 84 miles of the ride today-- so relieved that I got through yesterday, I guess. The morning was gorgeous as always but the riding was reasonably easy and I never crumped out even when it got hot. I have learned to pour water through the holes in my helmet, then down the back and front of my jersey and that evaporates as I ride keeping me very comfortable. We had two long and tough hills at the end of the day, but long like a mile each not like some of the multi-mile climbs we suffered through earlier, so I was able to take them in stride. I completed the ride in 7 hours.

3 comments:

  1. Go babe, can't wait for you to get home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember coming in to the Missouri Valley from the west. You have been in gently rolling hills for 100 miles, and then the last dozen miles are very hilly. When you head east in the morning, you gain about 400 feet of elevation in less than a mile, then back on the prairie. Don't miss the Corn Palace in Mitchell!

    Don

    ReplyDelete